How to be a member of the Parish
A person becomes a member of the Catholic Church through Baptism. This is completed by the sacrament of Confirmation—the outpouring of God’s spirit—and lived out in daily Christian living nourished by the sacraments.
Active membership in a particular parish is a requirement for the celebration of marriage, for eligibility for Confirmation, for Baptism of one’s child, for First Communion for one’s child, and for special benefits such as tuition subsidy in parishes with schools.
It is the hope and prayer of the pastor and parish leadership that every baptized Catholic—whether active or not active up to this point—can be helped to develop a closer relationship with God and Jesus Christ and to receive encouragement and spiritual support in their journey of faith.
To be considered an active member of St. Mary Parish, one must:
- Be formally registered as a member of the parish
- Attend weekend Mass regularly
- Contribute financially in a regular, identifiable, and meaningful way
- Assist or serve the parish programs and activities in accordance with one’s abilities or interests
Occasionally, an individual formally registers in the parish in order to gain immediate benefits and, sadly, he/she does not follow through with the level of participation requested above. We now require one year of active membership in order to be eligible for benefits.
Some applications of this policy are listed here:
- A Catholic who grew up in the Parish and lives elsewhere now requests to be Married at St. Mary. It will be necessary for the individual to present documented proof that he/she is a registered member, contributed financially to, and actively participated in the parish where he/she lives.
- Subsidized tuition rate at Cathedral School also is determined by these criteria.
- A Catholic who grew up in the parish and lives elsewhere now requests Baptism for his/her child at St. Mary. It will be necessary for the individual to present documented proof that he/she is a registered member, contributed financially to, and actively participates in the parish where he/she lives.
- A Catholic from out-of-town who is invited to be a sponsor for Baptism or Confirmation at St. Mary will also be required to present similar documentation.
New Member Registration and Information Packet
Download the registration and information packet.