Sacrament of Confirmation
In keeping with diocesan guidelines, a preparation program for parents, sponsors, and candidates begins in September. The preparation program for 11th and 12th graders includes a monthly focus session, a Rite of Commitment, a weekend retreat, serving in liturgical roles, completing a service project, and involvement by parents.
A pattern of weekend Mass attendance is required by church law of all Catholics. Without this commitment, candidates will not be eligible to receive Confirmation. Older youth, college students, and adults will undergo their preparation by weekly attendance in the RCIA classes on Thursday evenings.
Confirmation is one of the sacraments of initiation. Students are eligible for this sacrament in their junior or senior year of high school.
The Sacrament of Confirmation:
- Confers in us the full outpouring of the Holy Spirit.
- Gives us the grace to live our faith on a daily basis even in the face of rejection or Opposition.
- Binds us more closely to the Church.
- Unites us more firmly to Christ.
- Increases the gifts of the Holy Spirit in us, enriching us with the Spirit’s special strength.
- Empowers us to spread and defend the faith by word and action.
Requirements for Confirmation of Adolescents:
- Be a registered member of the parish.
- Attend Mass regularly on weekends.
- Live according to the Commandments of God, precepts of the Church, and the beatitudes.
- Be a junior or senior in high school.
- Complete the Preparation Program for Confirmation.
- Be fully informed on the responsibilities of a Confirmed Catholic by working to complete four years of religious study at Cathedral School or a similar quality program approved by the pastor.
- Participate in the monthly focus sessions—from September until April—prior to Confirmation.
- Participate in a weekend retreat scheduled during February prior to Confirmation.
- Select a sponsor who is a living witness to the faith.
- Select a saint’s name for Confirmation.
- Complete a group service project.
- Write a letter to the Bishop.
- Take part in an interview with the pastor
The Sacrament of Confirmation
St. Mary Basilica
105 South Union St.
Natchez, MS 39120
Telephone: 601.445.5616 or send Email